Why Work at the Better Block?
Because we’re making a difference. We’re not your typical office. We sit at a desk made with our CNC Router, and spend half our time dreaming up ways to make people’s neighborhoods better. We get to travel to communities and meet with the activists who are working for a better tomorrow. And we love ideas.
We work hard, but the payoff is worth it.
Interested in joining us? We are looking for a Senior Project Manager.
Senior Project Manager Details
Reporting to the Managing Director, the Senior Project Manager will have overall strategic and logistical control over each Better Block project, over the project process as a whole, and will oversee project managers. Better Block is a new and growing nonprofit, so the position offers the person to have a great deal of influence on the growth of the organization.
Projects take place in cities across the U.S., so the position includes frequent travel and work on nights and weekends during project implementation. The position is located in Dallas, Texas.
Better Block projects are temporary, block-level interventions that demonstrate a series of rapid prototypes. We work with the community, using their tools, knowledge, and resources, to revitalize neighborhoods. We often add bike lanes with temporary paint, use digital fabrication and manual processes to construct furniture from plywood and palettes, and activate the space by coordinating markets. Thus, the role is physically demanding, often requiring moving heavy objects and climbing ladders.
• Facilitate Better Block projects from start to finish, including:
• Overall project outline and timeline
• Material sourcing
• Ongoing communication with local team members via regularly scheduled meetings
• Managing and developing project scope and budget
• Tracking expenses, invoicing clients, and tracking time
• Onsite management of logistics and volunteer workshops during Better Block implementation weeks
• Help in the design, writing, and review of all project-related documents
• Oversee project managers on their individual projects
• The Senior Project Manager should be passionate about new urbanism and willing to swing a hammer, get paint
on his/her clothing, answer volunteers’ questions, etc. This position is very hands-on.
• College degree in urban planning, architecture, design, or project management.
• 4-plus years experience in project management or event planning, ideally in an urban design or city planning
• Flexibility with work schedule and day-to-day tasks, as they may change as projects evolve.
• Ability to work independently without much direction, and to make decisions based on Better Block principles
and project guidelines.
• Ability to work in a team, delegate tasks, and hold team members accountable for these tasks.
• Demonstrated ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
• Excellent organizational skills.
• Design skills a plus (Adobe, Sketch Up, GIS).
• Ability and willingness to travel up to 25 percent.
• Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of
stakeholders and cultures.
• Ability to work in a startup atmosphere where projects must be executed from the ground up,
To apply, email Krista@betterblock.org with your résumé, cover letter, and any relevant materials. No phone calls, please.